Yes, my friend, you can! If you want your stitches to have impact then using 28w thread is an easy way to do it.
My Aurifil Artisan challenge for September was to use a thread I wasn't familiar with and I can't resist a challenge. My welcome pack just happened to have a 28w thread in a bright orange that matched the colours of my new Nordmann cover quilt exactly! It was meant to be!
Now that I've finished my quilt, and am completely in love with how it turned out I can tell you that these are my top tips for sewing with 28w thread in your sewing machine.
My top tips are:
- Do check the instruction manual of your sewing machine
- Do use a 90/14 needle
- Don't use the automatic needle threader - thread your needle by hand by hand
- Although I also used 28w thread in the bobbin it's not necessary to match the thread weight in your bobbin - but DO do some test stiches to check your tension before you start quilting.
- Use a walking foot
- Adjust your stitch length to between 3.5-4 to really make your stitches shine (I used 3.4)
- Do straight line quilting
- Go slow
- Choose a bright colour - why not if you're going bold with your stitches!
In my Autumn Leaves cover quilt I used Aurifil 28w in 1133 Bright Orange and 2311 Muslin.